Maha Upadesh of Aadishri; Part – 23
Maha Upadesh of Aadishri – The aim of life and of taking actions in life is not just to earn one’s livelihood or to collect wealth. The basic aim of all action/ effort is to try to come closer to the divine. This is possible only when our deluded self is progressively realized and this happens when one thinks deeply, reflects & introspects, hears melodious sound (music) and keeps the company of similar like-minded souls who also seek the divine. This development of the individual (deluded) soul, takes it away from the animal (instinctive) nature of man and towards the divine nature of its real self-God. So don’t think that those who do not labor in the worldly life are lazy since they could be working hard on the path to the divine.
Working towards the divine is a hard task especially because in this path, rather than gathering material things-which is easy to focus on-one instead has to work towards letting things go. One has to rise above one’s selfish nature. One has to surrender into the lotus feet of God and surrender is far more difficult than working towards fulfillment of worldly desires because we can see worldly goals but we cannot see the divine with these worldly eyes.
This is one of the common mistakes made and there are other mistakes as well that prevent us from surrendering to God.
They are as follows
- There are errors and mistakes and casualness in your methods of worship of God.
- You are content and happy even in your own ignorance. Because you are happy to be in the grips of Maya and because you constantly chase the temporary pleasures that the world provides, you remain unrealized. And you also think that all your successes and achievements are solely due to your competence. God can only look and smile at such foolishness.
- You don’t give 10% of your income into the house of God and cheat him of his due.
- You are not someone that God can trust and depend on since you don’t celebrate the God anointed festivals.
- When you are in difficulty, you look for God’s mercy in all the places you can think off in the world. Temples, mosques, churches, rivers, mountains, trees and pilgrimage spots and in the worship of the demi-gods, but when your life conditions are fine you forget God immediately and instead substitute him with other things.
O man, correct your mistakes and please understand some important things. There are four pillars of a god ordained life-Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha. All four are required in equal measure for the spiritual life to be a success. The pursuit of only one and the rejection of the others is not proper and will not lead to success.
For example Moksha is considered to be the highest goal but if you want only that and neglect the others, then it will not work since effort is required in the world to sustain the body in the world and the mind must be free of the worries of responsibilities before detachment can happen. Thus for Moksha to succeed, there has to be success in Dharma, Artha and Kama. Similarly If only Arth is pursued then one becomes totally embroiled in the world. In this manner, all four aspects must be in good balance and only then all four are achieved properly.
So please understand where you have gone wrong and accept your mistake and ask for forgiveness for your faults. The forgiveness is just a formality and what is more important is that you are devoted to God. So place a throne for Him in your heart and He will occupy it in the form of light. And those who see Him in the radiant form, they shall be realized and such a person shall be on the right path unbidden since he follows God’s light.